Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Book Covers.

Here are some book covers that I think are useful when approaching this brief:


This is an example of an approach to academic text that I don't really enjoy at all. The scrappy looseness of the illustration, whilst well intentioned, really doesn't suit the content of the book at all.




I really love the simplicity of the two above that work as part of a set. It's perhaps important to consider that I could make an approach that is entirely typographical. if I pursue this route, I need to find a balance between chosing type that suits all the directors, whilst still retaining a very distinct character.


I like the overprinting on this one, but I'm not a fan of the typographic treatment, which looks kind of wedged in.



These covers are really appropriate to what I'm doing and they're a very nice approach indeed. The unique colour of the type to each treatment allows for individuality, whilst at once conforming to the series, which is really helpful.





I love the simplicity of this book design, the series of images beneath the type is something I could create, with several different icons representing the works of each film maker, so that's another direction to go down.


These aren't official releases, but a student project I imagine. I still like how they conform to the same format to work as a set, with very distinct colours to give them character. However, I'm not a fan of the bold condensed type, its a little in your face and gritty for a series of academic texts.

All in all, looking at a few of these different approaches has really allowed me to explore the potential simplicity that my work can go down to.

No comments:

Post a Comment