Friday, May 20, 2011

Case Study: Aurele Sack

Not a studio but an individual designer, one who makes beautiful typefaces. I emailed him and asked him a few questions, not many (he was busy so I guess that worked out well, because I would have scared him off.) Geared towards what I'm looking at for my context book.

On 19 May 2011, at 13:08, Aurele Sack wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your mail and your interest.
I'm pretty busy so I'm gonna ask quickly.

I think that typeface design is not an art for me.
And when I'm designing a typeface, I'm just trying to be logical, mathematical, a bit geometrical. etc... I think
that if a typeface is correctly drawn on a logical grid, it will work well for sure.

Thanks and best regards,
Aurele


Le 20 mai 11 à 00:41, Ben Bowsher a écrit :

Hi

I'm a big fan of the typefaces you design, particularly 'Fleurie', which has some excellent flourishes.
I was wondering whether I could ask you a few questions about your practice:

Firstly, do you view type design as an art form?

When designing typefaces, do you have a particular philosophy?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Ben Bowsher
Graphic Design


It was interesting that his views on type were so absolutely different to mine. I understand what he means by it being a science but I disagree. Anyway, this is something extremely interesting in terms of feeding into my context publication, I definitely have a use for it.





No comments:

Post a Comment